Saturday, July 23, 2005

Sauve Qui Peut (La Vie)

Round about sunset, as I was riding my bike to Sai Wan, I was thinking about of all the films I have seen, and which ones would I have in my top ten. As well to think about lists as anything else at the moment.
Performance (Cammell/Roeg) would be on the list. Orson Welles' Touch of Evil, too. The Mirror by Tarkovsky, that's another. The Japanese film In the Realm of the Senses. Wong Kar-wai's In the Mood for Love. How many's that? Five... Truffaut's Day for Night. Rossellini's Open City. Playtime by Jacques Tati. 1900 by Bertolucci. Ten? Sauve Qui Peut (La Vie) by Jean-Luc Godard. Honourable mentions: Roman Polanski's Chinatown, John Huston's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and the Pennebaker documentary about Dylan, Don't Look Back. Which is what I just did. Even so, it would be nice to see them all again...

No comments: