Monday, December 19, 2005

WTO Hong Kong: (some of) the aftermath

















(photo, Samson So)
Prior to the march [on Sunday], several locals tried to make conversation with a group of Korean protesters, but grew incensed when police officers intervened and ordered the locals to step away. The officers were forced to quietly retreat when the locals put up a fight, attracting a large crowd with their loud protests.
"The police tried to stop me from talking to the Koreans, telling me that it was unsafe for me and my little girl to be in this area,'' Lee Kum-tat said after the confrontation. "This is public space, and I have a right to be here."
A 60-year-old man surnamed Yu agreed, adding that he sympathized with the protesters and had even given one Korean HK$100 and milk. "All of our ancestors were also farmers," Yu said, gesturing at the circle of locals around him. "The farmers have no weapons. The violence is from the police."
@ Curbside

No comments: