Friday, December 16, 2005

Hong Kong WTO: Doug Crets at Curbside

Doug Crets writes:

What is it about massive public events that cause people to open up just a little bit?
Walking backwards in front of the Korean Peasant Women Association, I turned around to come face to face with a stunning traffic cop in her rakishly tilted beret. I smiled. She smiled. And then looked down. Then she looked back at me and smiled again. I turned to see an elderly local couple. He had his hand on her arm. He gave me the ''thumbs up'' sign.
After this is all over, the World Trade Organization protests in Hong Kong will be about how Hong Kong people were exposed to the art of protest. Every day, protesters have talked to me about the new wave of protesting and how everyone is coming to Hong Kong to spread the message on how to perform a democracy. And it is a performance.
Now, I'm not saying that Hong Kong people lack confidence. It takes guts to survive in a city with no real safety net but family. And, as some of you may know, family is not always family, if you know what I mean.
Before I get too abstract, let me just take you back to this morning.
To continue: Curbside

No comments: