Monday, April 25, 2005

Sound of Music

For the last couple of days, there have been lion-dance processions weaving their way around a little island, with much loud crashings of cymbals and beatings of drums. Cool, eh!
Mid-afternoon, today, I cycled down to Sai Wan. I had a feeling something was going on down there.
Yes! Not only is there a temporary open-sided bamboo theatre, but there was a show.
Monday afternoon, full-house. So I sat on my bike.
A costume drama Cantonese opera in full throttle. With a reproduction of a Chinese painting in the classical style featuring a crane [the bird] providing the backdrop. The costumes, singers and sound of the production suggested this was the work of a professional company.
I know that sort of music is not everyone's cup of tea, but I can't resist taking a small sip from time to time. It seems to have some sort of restorative effect if taken in very small doses. For me, anyway. Your mileage may vary.

No comments: