Saturday, April 16, 2005

Les routiers sont sympas

Once upon a time, I went to Paris. Ostensibly, to work. But really I wanted to leave England, live in another country. Paris. I had been there briefly once before. With someone who I was breaking up with. She wanted us to spend one last weekend together. In Paris. So we went. And then she and I never saw each other again. I sometimes wonder how she is, hoping that her life worked out OK. I didn't treat her well at all. Knowledge that I will carry till my dying day.
A couple of years later, I went back. Ostensibly, for a job. But there was much more than that: a leaving and a going. Start anew. Reinvent myself. Learn French. Which meant, among other things, listening to the radio. Which is where I discovered the achingly funny Coluche. He must be one of the funniest political comedians that ever walked the earth. I am grateful I was around when Coluche was. I left Paris in 1980. Coluche? He died in a motor bike accident in 1986. Thus was a life cut short. I have added his name to the Wikipedia list of people known by ONE name -- there are quite a few. Enjoy.

No comments: