Thursday, April 28, 2005

Astral Weeks

Van Morrison's Astral Weeks. I bought the album a couple of months after it was released. Back in the day. I see that phrase more and more. Google it, it comes up a zillion times. I digress. Astral Weeks... one day, a long time ago, I walked out one particular door and never came back. Left everything. Almost everything. The only things I took away with me turned out to be memories. Later, even the memories became too painful. So painful I even stopped listening to the music of that time. Later on, much later, I stumbled into some people who offered me their help. Thanks to them, my life has slowly turned around.
Fast forward. Last December I had to fly to England. Family emergency. When it was over, before I left, I found myself in a record store... and bought my brother a copy of Astral Weeks. He may have played it, or not. Up to him.
I came back to a little island. Christmas, New Year, Chinese New Year. Until three weeks ago, I thought: Yes! Astral Weeks.
So I bought a copy. The cd has been getting regular play eversince. From the begining. And what a beginning. Guitar and (acoustic) double bass, then Morrison kicks in:
If I ventured in the slipstream
Between the viaducts of your dreams
Where immobile steal rims crack
And the ditch in the back roads stop
Sublime. Thanks, Van.

No comments: