Saturday, November 29, 2008

Paolo Sorrentino: Il Divo

For the weekend, a guilty pleasure.

Film of the year: Il Divo.

Sorrentino's visually stunning film covers the life and murderous times of the seemingly untouchable Giulio Andreotti.

Now retired, Italy's prime minister on seven separate occasions, Andreotti was the Machiavellian, quixotic, powerbroker and wheeler-dealer. In this clip, Andreotti's political inner circle arrive for a meeting:



UPDATE. Italian not up to scratch? Nessun problema:
"Apart from the Punic Wars, I’ve been blamed for everything that’s happened in Italy. They’ve honoured me with several nicknames: The Divine Julius (il Divo), The First Letter of the Alphabet, The Hunchback, The Fox, Moloch, The Salamander, The Black Pope, Eternity, Man of Darkness, Beelzebub. But I’ve never pressed charges for a simple reason: I have a sense of humour. I have something else, too: a vast archive in place of an imagination. Every time I mention it those who should shut up do so, as if by magic."

No comments: