Thursday, August 09, 2007

Eye | Land | View

(click on photo to enlarge)

Street cleaner

Downgraded from a severe tropical storm to a mere tropical depression, Pabuk is heading west and skirting the western coast of Guangdong province. At 11am this morning Hong Kong Observatory lowered the No.3.

Hereabouts, the winds have died down. But there is the occasional bout of torrential rain. It's like the major downpours in any film by Kurosawa or that short story by Somerset Maugham. . . awesome. Forecast for the weekend? Rain, of course.

The local street cleaners are paid a pittance, work in all weathers, do a wonderful job, and for the heavy rains use the tools of their trade to rig up their own Darth Vader costumes. Respect.

3 comments:

Alice Poon said...

Hi Mister Bijou. I just wanted to let you know that I've at last started my own blog:-

http://alicewaihanpoon.blogspot.com/

Sorry I had to come here - I don't have your email address.

Cheers,
Alice Poon

962 said...

I like that
I like that very much
There is nothing like a good laugh in the morning.

mister bijou said...

Alice,
great to hear from you! Thanks for contacting me. Will add you to the bloglist.

PS: Alice Poon is the author of one of the best English-language books about Hong Kong. Her book, Land and the Ruling Class in Hong Kong, is available at Dymocks and Bookazine in Hong Kong. The book (although not listed) can also be purchased online by sending an email to paddyfield.com. Recommended reading.